Friday, March 21, 2014

Jelly Donuts

It was stunning out when I left work the other day. So warm and bright for what felt like the first time in eternity, so instead of heading home, I had to keep walking. I found myself in front of a local donut shop. Remembering that a friend of mine had never tasted these morsels of heaven, I popped in and picked up a half dozen to drop by with later on.  It wasn't until I was two blocks away and finally finished texting a one handed novel to a pal that I thought "aw crap, I should have picked up one more donut for my roommate." I decided that the next time I went past the shop, that I would treat us both to one.
Slowly, a man on a bike appears beside me. he looks to be in his late forties, slightly dishevelled clothing riding a bike with a basket on the front, attached by jungee cords…
"Hello" he said.
"hi there" says I
and we made small talk for a few minutes.  This man was not giving me the creeps or the heebie - jeebies by any means. strange yes but he wasn't creepy, he never asked me where i lived or anything and trust me, I wouldn't continue talking to someone I didn't want to or wasn't intrigued by.
"Are those for somebody?" he asks me looking at the donut box. (* only at the box, he didn't look at my face much at all, he was focused on his bike mostly)
"yeah, for a friend"
"…your roommate?"
…strange that I was just thinking that…
"Do you know that you have a big day coming up in october?"
"…I do?"
"Yes. its your 10,000 th day of being alive. Are you going to celebrate?"
"well yeah I am now that I know that!"
we spoke some more and briefly when he told me,
"next time I see you, I want to remember you so I'm going to give you a nickname."
"oh…okay sure"
"you are now…Lowanne."
"…Lowanne?"
"yes. this might be the last time you see me today. good bye, have a good day."
and he drove off on his bike.


…Lowanne ...

No comments:

Post a Comment