Saturday, February 2, 2013

I Am A Vegetarian And I Only Eat Beats Wear Alot Of Carrots And I Smoke The Best Greens No Beef


No Fun February. A tradition that started years ago with my sister and some of her high school friends to describe the month in which they sacrifice the nectar of the gods; beer.
Inspired by her devotion to better herself and give up the sweet sweet adult juice, my parents and I have since decided to give up our own indulgences for the month. Mine? - Meat.

Muther and Fadder have also decided to give up meat, making us one green family. literally.
I truly think that I will be just fine without meat, in general, I am someone who tends to lean towards veggies anyways. If a vegetarian option is available, I will more likely than not gravitate towards that. I would say that I am a Veggiepreferian. That being said, there are some meaty delights that I could not and would not turn down. Things like a good bloody steak, or a Pulled Pork Sammich. The list of things I WOULDN'T do for a good pulled pork sammie is in fact, alarmingly short.
MUST. STOP. THINKING. ABOUT. THAT.

Now there are some rules to this month of meatless madness. I will still eat eggs because chickens make them anyways and are therefore in my mind, not considered meat. Generally dad is going with "If it has eyes, eyebrows or a mother - don't eat it" but we've agreed that eggs are okay and Fish would be allowed only on special occasions or emergencies of the fish and chips nature... and besides...fish dont have eyebrows.

The upside of working at a job that also feeds you is that, well, it feeds you. I am lucky enough that everyday, someone upstairs is preparing lunch for myself and my fellow associates. I can always rely on a salad ( though most times it will be comprised of random bits of hacked up lettuce, some carrot sticks and a slice of cucumber - which seemingly boring, is still yum in my mind. Not exactly filling but tasty) my other staple is soup. It doesn't matter how hot it is outside or what time of the year - I LOVe SOUP. period.

Day one was tricky. As I made my way towards the staff caff, I knew that I would be okay today so long as I had some soup. Looking at the menu on the wall, I sighed knowing I would have to turn down the salmon. And the Tuna salad. And the soup.
wait
WAIT
AND THE SOUP?!
I let out an audible groan as I poured my delicious looking cream of potato AND BACON soup back into the pot.
I shuffled over to the cold salad bar and made a sad looking arrangement of greens on my plate.
I took a picture of my sad lunch and texted it to dad

Me: day 1
Dad: im dying for a buger. THAT looks appetizing (*Sarcastic). Im in trouble
Me: I know. we have potato bacon soup for lunch. AND salmon AND tuna salad. this blows.
Dad: .....mmmmmmmm potato bacon soup...i'm screwed

After explaining to one of my colleagues how / why I was torturing myself for the month of February, he piped up with " well are you documenting the process? - you should weigh yourself now at the beginning of the month and then just keep track of it every week and see what changes happen to your body as a result of our altered diet." I am intrigued by this and think it is a stellar idea. that being said im not terribly pumped to publish my weight on the internet BUT I WILL - your welcome science. and nosey people. so I am going to go weigh myself right meow and then right it down. Followed by a trip to the grocery store with my mudder (mother) to pick up some veggie burgers.

Starting weight: 117 lbs.       :/

the shortest month of the year might just turn out to be the longest month of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you brave girl. If you could figure out how to do your Body mass index as well that would be cool cause I have a hypothesis that you will loose some muscle over the month. Maybe I am wrong though... I'm curious hehe If you were a scientist, your iron and other vitamin levels would be interesting to document as well but I suppose my curiosity will have to remain unsated hahaha Happy to have you back bloggin. Now I have a good book and a catchup to your life. Picture me a happy panda. Lots of love and hugs to you and yours from me and mine.

    ReplyDelete